California Personal Injury Lawyer
If you find yourself wondering, “how do I find a qualified personal injury lawyer near me?” you’ve come to the right place. Farar & Lewis, LLP, represents victims who have experienced traumatic and often life-changing injuries caused by another’s negligence or recklessness. We protect your legal right to compensation so that you can pay for medical bills, property damage, and lost wages as well as receive damages for mental anguish and enduring pain and suffering.
However, legal deadlines apply to your case, and some are very short, depending upon the parties involved. Whereas a standard personal injury case has a statute of limitations of two years, if you intend to sue a government entity, the statute of limitations is only six months. Regardless of who is at fault, it is imperative that you consult a skilled California personal injury lawyer near you as soon as possible following the incident in order to maximize the compensation you are eligible to receive.
What Accidents Can a California Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me With?
An experienced California personal injury lawyer will help you with accidents involving negligence, recklessness, and medical malpractice. If someone’s failure to meet a general duty of care caused your injuries and medical bills, you can hold them accountable legally for your financial and physical losses. However, negligence is not always readily apparent, which means that you should speak with a legal professional before taking on thousands of dollars in medical debt.
Farar & Lewis, LLP, can help you and your loved ones handle the following types of accidents:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including:
– Car accidents
– Truck accidents
– Motorcycle accidents
– Rideshare accidents
– Bus accidents
– And more
- Pedestrian accidents
- Dog bites
- Slip, trip, and fall injuries
- Premises liability cases
- Wrongful death cases
- Catastrophic injuries
- Elder abuse
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Industry-specific accidents, such as construction accidents
- Workers’ compensation & third-party liability claims
- Malfunctioning and/or defective product injuries
- Medical malpractice & negligence
- Injuries resulting from negligent security
- And more
Someone else’s negligence does not mean that you should have to pay for their mistakes. Our legal team will fight to pursue compensation that pays for current and future medical bills, lost work wages and benefits, physical pain and suffering damages, reduced enjoyment of life, and punitive damages as recoverable. You can count on us to fight for every penny the insurance company and liable parties owe you.
What Are the Most Common Injuries?
Personal injury law addresses some of the most traumatic injuries one can experience as well as the unnecessary loss of life. However, some physical injuries occur more often than others, especially in more severe accidents.
A California personal injury lawyer near you represents the most common injuries as follows:
1. Soft Tissue Injuries
Soft tissue injuries are among the most frequently occurring types of bodily damage, including whiplash, road rash, strains, sprains, and more. Injury victims are not financially responsible for these injuries if another party’s negligence played a role.
2. Simple and Compound Bone Fractures
Broken bones can be excruciatingly painful, and severe fractures can require surgical correction with rods, plates, and screws. It is not uncommon for an individual to experience pain months or even years after sustaining a bone fracture.
3. Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs)
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are life-changing, and they are also costly for injury victims to treat and manage long-term. A California personal injury lawyer ensures that insurers do not take advantage of your or your loved one’s fragile state following a brain injury.
4. Spine and Spinal Cord Injuries
The spinal cord is responsible for sending information from the brain to the rest of your body, and the spine protects the delicate spinal cord from damage. Injury to the spine can result in broken vertebrae and slipped or herniated discs. Spinal cord damage can result in temporary or permanent paralysis.
Burn injuries can be extremely painful and cause permanent disfigurement. Burns can occur due to fire, hot surfaces, hot liquids, caustic chemicals, or electrocution.
6. Wrongful Death
If your family member loses their life to injuries caused by negligence, you can recover compensation for survivors and the estate. A California personal injury lawyer will go after the money your family needs for the future in your loved one’s absence.
Do I Need a California Personal Injury Attorney?
Whether this is your first accident or you’ve been through a personal injury case before, you need a California personal injury attorney when you want to protect your legal rights. Insurance companies have years of experience navigating these matters, and their goal is to minimize the damages paid to victims. Hire a qualified legal professional immediately following an accident to avoid common insurance pitfalls and tactics that lower your case’s value.
You can benefit from a California personal injury attorney’s legal services in the following circumstances:
- You suffered from catastrophic injuries, or your loved one lost their life. These are expensive cases for insurance companies to settle. Protect your case from the outset by hiring legal representation.
- The insurance company offered you a much lower settlement than expected. State laws provide for the right to compensation for injury victims after an accident, and we will investigate your accident and present evidence to assert those rights.
- The insurance company is acting in bad faith. They must process and pay your claim according to specific rules. If they create unnecessary delays, you could receive civil damages for their actions.
- The insurance adjuster does not believe your side of the story. You may need to provide additional evidence of negligence surrounding your accident injuries. A California personal injury attorney has the knowledge and resources to help.
- You want legal advice. Personal injury cases are not always cut-and-dry, and sometimes, people simply want to know if they have an actionable injury case. Anytime you need legal advice, always speak with a lawyer for the most accurate information.
If you believe that you need a California personal injury lawyer, get the legal help you want and deserve. Contact Farar & Lewis, LLP, for a free consultation right away. We do not get paid for our legal services until you win.
What Does the Personal Injury Case Process Look Like in California?
The strategy of every personal injury case process is different. At Farar & Lewis, LLP, we devise specific tactics on a case-by-case basis. However, the negotiation and civil court processes primarily begin in the same matter.
Below, we have outlined the seven-phase personal injury case process that your case may follow:
1. Hire an Attorney
The personal injury case process begins by hiring a California personal injury lawyer. Our state’s laws are complex, and legal errors commonly result in unintended or unwanted consequences. Hire a legal professional from the outset to avoid costly mistakes altogether.
2. Collect Evidence
Your legal team will immediately get to work on your case by investigating the accident and preserving evidence that speaks to the facts and circumstances. We then use this data to devise a case theory and determine what the other side can prove.
3. Demand for Settlement
Your California personal injury lawyer will issue a settlement demand letter to the insurance company using available evidence. Their final warning is that you intend to file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court unless they pay your settlement demand amount.
4. File an Injury Lawsuit
If the insurer refuses to pay what your case is worth, then your California personal injury attorney will file a civil court petition on your behalf for unpaid damages, bad faith, and unfair dealing, among other counts. The insurance company must answer your complaint within 30 days.
5. Discovery Phase
After the defendant answers your complaint, the pre-trial discovery phase begins. It is an opportunity to ask questions of the other side, request additional evidence, exchange information, and more. Your legal team may take depositions, obtain expert opinions, and negotiate on your behalf throughout the process.
Both parties should engage in a good faith attempt to settle the matter in mediation before going to a judge or jury trial. Mediation is a form of civil dispute resolution where the parties come together with their lawyers before a mediator. If they can agree, the case can resolve at this point.
Cases that do not settle in mediation will continue to the trial phase of the personal injury claims process. However, it is also worth noting that upwards of 95 percent of cases settle before ever going to trial. If your case does go to a civil trial, both parties present evidence before a judge or jury for a final verdict.
Top-Rated California Personal Injury Lawyer Near You
Looking for a top-rated California personal injury lawyer near you? Look no further; Farar & Lewis, LLP, is ready to fight for your rights while mounting an offense and defense that work toward a favorable outcome. We take cases on contingency fees, so we do not get paid until you win your case.
Contact our legal team now for a free case review.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it worth getting a California personal injury lawyer?
It is worth getting a California personal injury lawyer when they can add value to your case. Farar & Lewis, LLP, focuses on providing transparent, client-focused support and will offer you a direct, honest answer regarding how we can help.
What questions should you ask a California personal injury lawyer?
A consultation with a prospective personal injury law firm is an opportunity for you to address some essential questions. Even if you already have specific questions in mind, here are nine questions you can ask California personal injury lawyer during your first meeting:
- Do you think I have an actionable personal injury case?
- Do you have experience with personal injury cases like mine?
- What do you think my settlement should be worth?
- Do you foresee any legal challenges arising?
- What is your experience as a California personal injury lawyer?
- What is your firm’s approach to client service?
- What are your billing rates, policies, and practices?
- Do you believe you can add value to my case?
- What is your record at trial in personal injury cases?
The answers to the above-referenced questions will help you determine if a firm is a right fit for your situation. At Farar & Lewis, LLP, we pride ourselves on our compassion, punctuality, and honesty. We look forward to serving you.
What should I do after a car accident in California?
A severe motor vehicle accident can result in an adrenaline rush, rendering sound decision-making much more difficult. If you suffer from severe injuries in an accident, your subsequent actions can significantly impact your physical recovery and settlement value.
Below, we’ve outlined the top five most important steps you should take after a car accident in California to safeguard your legal rights and support maximum physical recovery:
- Prioritize safety: Stop your vehicle, secure the accident scene, and call an ambulance for severe injuries. Contact the police immediately and avoid admitting fault. Schedule a doctor’s appointment after filing your accident report if you did not need an ambulance.
- Document the accident: Take videos, photos, and witness information if, and only if, you are physically able to do so. Memories fade, and evidence degrades. Document the accident scene and retain copies of all medical bills and doctors’ notes.
- Call a California personal injury lawyer: We can assist you straight away in gathering evidence about your accident by interviewing witnesses, locating any video footage of the accident, and inspecting the accident scene.
- Keep a pain and suffering journal: Your daily account of how the accident has impacted your life is admissible as evidence. Purchase a notebook to record doctor’s appointments, medications, physical pain levels, and an overall mental health picture.
- Follow through on your doctor’s orders: This action demonstrates that you contributed to your recovery, preventing the liable party from alleging that you compounded your injuries and thereby reducing the amount of compensation you receive.
No one person or family should ever have to face a challenging moment alone. A California personal injury lawyer at Farar & Lewis, LLP, will stand by your side throughout the entire process. Learn more about your options by scheduling a free consultation today.